This is a simple jam (only 5 ingredients) with very little sugar, letting the flavor of the blueberries shine through. It’s also anti-inflammatory, relatively low calorie, and contains a good dose of soluble fiber (for jam!).
Blueberry Chia Seed Jam
- 3 cups blueberries fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 tsp. lemon zest finely grated
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Bring all ingredients except chia seeds to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, just until berries begin to burst.
- Use a spoon to lightly mash about half the berries.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cook until juices are reduced by half, 5 - 10 min.
- Stir in chia seeds. Cook 1 minute to soften.
- Let jam cool, then transfer to heatproof jars.
Cover and let cool completely. Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks; in the freezer for up to 2 months.
If you don't like 'seedy' jams or preserves, this may not be the jam for you because of the chia seeds. Otherwise, this is an extremely simple refrigerator jam. I've had an open batch stored in the refrigerator for over 2 months with no issues - it's kept well.